Integrating renewable energy
Clegg are Carbon Neural, offsetting our Carbon emissions every year on sustainable projects.
We work towards cutting carbon emissions, reducing waste and increasing our use of renewable resources, building renewable energy systems into new construction projects and existing buildings is becoming more and more essential.
Often sitting alongside the main purpose of a building or development, there is a growing expectation that new constructions will operate in an environmentally acceptable way. Decision makers, end users and communities increasingly expect carbon neutral or carbon positive facilities. They look for efficiency measures that reduce waste and energy costs, and heating, electricity and energy solutions that harness natural sources. Increasingly, there is call for an ability to capture, divert or store energy generated locally.
Creative and technical
Many forward-thinking businesses and individuals are also looking to introduce these measures to existing buildings. They want to contribute to the global journey to NetZero and improve their operational efficiency at the same time.
At Clegg, we provide creative and technically advanced solutions to incorporate the installation of renewable energy sources into your construction project for both new and existing buildings. Solar panels and thermal energy remain the most popular choices and are suitable for most types of buildings. Free-standing or building-mounted wind turbines can also be an effective solution. Our experience ensures the best location for panels or turbines and efficient integration with water and electrical systems.
Commitment to sustainability
We also have experience of more specialist approaches. Depending on your building location, we can support hydropower solutions, including hydroelectricity and tidal energy. We can also support your installation of anaerobic digestion, energy from waste or biomass energy systems that create energy from by-products or waste that would otherwise need disposal by other methods.
With a range of completed projects for businesses of all sizes, our commitment to sustainability in construction and for existing buildings reflects our own focus on reducing our carbon footprint.
We are determined to play our part as a company committed to sustainable business practices and energy efficiency.
Reducing our Carbon
We are committed to reducing our Carbon within the offices and on projects and will be doing the following.
- Raise awareness with the design and estimating teams.
- Review Continual Professional Development (CPD) and ongoing training.
- Embed carbon footprint reporting into all design and estimating processes.
- Consider design for low carbon materials and building whole life use.
- Proactively work with the value chain in order to identify low carbon opportunities.
- Take weekly meter readings.
- Minimise the use of electricity and gas.
- Turn off equipment, PCs, air conditioning, and heating, overnight
- Consider renewable energy tariff
- Arrange independent energy audit
- Consider energy monitoring equipment and software. (Smart Meter)
- Minimise the use of water in all activities.
- Minimise the creation of waste.
- Understand how waste is disposed of, eg Recycled, landfill, etc
- Recycle as much waste as possible by providing adequate clearly labelled bins
- Eliminate or reduce single-use plastic.
- Consider emissions when travelling for business
- Use public transport eg train, if possible
- Survey how staff commute to work
- Raise awareness
- Encourage cycling, walking, public transport, car sharing etc.
Purchasing and Supply Chain
- Engage key suppliers in reducing emissions
- Make low carbon a requirement for future purchasing agreements.
Staff Awareness and Behaviour Change
- Raise awareness and consult with staff regarding CO2 emissions, energy consumption, and other factors.
- Appoint green champions/ ambassadors.
Proud corporate members of The Association for Consultancy and Engineering
Get in touch!
Contact us today
We’d love to hear more about your project, to understand how our engineering expertise can make your construction plans a reality. Use the link below to send us your contact details and we’ll be in touch to arrange a time to talk.Contact us